Pedestrian zone (MOB)

This category contains all the information on MOB fines. MOB fines are a special kind of Municipal Administrative Sanction. These are fines given for driving into certain areas of the city whereas only vehicles with a permit are allowed to drive.


Frequently Asked Questions

You received your fine because you were following your GPS?

Google Maps or a GPS system do not offer a 100% guarantee of being able to follow a correct route in a city. You should always be aware of where you are driving and what signs and traffic signals are in force.

You already registered for the low emission zone?

This fine has nothing to do with the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) of Ghent. The city of Ghent has car-free zones indicated by a traffic sign C3. This is a round white sign with a red border. Only licence holders have access to enter these zones.

You do not understand the signs because they are in Dutch?

In accordance with article 11 of the Laws on the use of languages in administrative matters of 18/07/1966, the City of Ghent is obliged to communicate with its citizens exclusively in Dutch.

This therefore also applies to the use of traffic signs on the public highway.

You do not know the C3 traffic sign?

The C3 traffic sign (in Belgium) corresponds to the B0 (in France) and C1 (in the Netherlands). It is an international road sign and is indicated by a round white sign with a red border. No entry for all vehicles in both directions.

You are not aware of the circulation plan?

Even if you are not aware of it, you should take into account the signs and traffic rules in a city. Each pedestrian zone is indicated by a C3 sign on both sides of the road. If you do not have a permit, you are not allowed to drive in this zone.

Do you have a disabled card and have you driven into the pedestrian zone to drop off or pick someone up?

Unfortunately you are not allowed to drive in the zone, even if you have a disabled card. You must always apply for a permit when entering a zone. You need to apply for a day permit in advance. (see

Were you following another vehicle into the zone?

It may well be that this vehicle had a permit and was allowed to enter the zone. This does not mean that you automatically have to follow this vehicle. You always have to respect the traffic rules and signs.

Is your hotel situated in the pedestrian zone?

You should contact your hotel in advance and ask whether any special arrangements need to be made when you arrive in Ghent. You can request a free permit from the hotel so you do not have to worry about the zone. (See

You have obtained several fines on the same day?

It is possible that you have driven in several zones, you will receive several fines for this.

The centre of Ghent is divided into several car-free zones.

If you drive from one zone into another, you will receive a fine. (see

You were not the driver of the car at the time of the offence?

If you were not the driver, then you can make a declaration of driver as mentioned in the letter you received. Do this in time, you have 30 days to do so.

Late declarations are not processed.

You drove past the sign but you stopped immediately and turned back?

In this case, we can look into applying a favourable measure. However, this is not a guarantee and you must submit a defence. This can be done by e-mail ( or through this website)


We are here to help!

E-mail us or call 09 220 00 37